Opening ceremony at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, February 12, 2010.
So, how was your 2010? Did you achieve the goals you set? Did you barely get by? Did you have an amazing year that you'll never forget?
Personally there were several events that seem to stand out:
- April: Experienced a mini-stroke
- June: Experienced wrongful-termination (has since been resolved)
- July - September: Cared for my terminally ill Mother
- September: Lost my Mother to cancer
- November: Lost my Step-Mother to cancer
- December, 25th: Experienced car accident that left me with several ugly bruises and very sore
- I joined Weight Watchers and lost 55 lbs. Though the mini-stroke was a fluke in the optical nerves behind my eyes, it was a wake-up call that I need to take better care of myself.
- I have to pray lots and lots and then do research on the appropriate course of action. It started to change my focus from how hurt I was to viable solutions to the problem. I also read Victor Frankl's book, "Man's Search for Meaning."
- Caring for my Mother allowed us to reconnect and build a wonderful friendship and relationship that I will forever cherish. It also taught me how to focus on others more than myself and remember, it's not about me.
- I allowed the grieving process to occur. I am still allowing it to occur. I focused on all the things I learned from my Mom. I appreciate the time we had together and that I had her for a Mom.
- Well, I was already grieving my Mom, so I had a better understanding of how to start grieving my Step-Mom. I was able to focus on supporting my Dad, brother, and sister.
- I still feel sore from the accident, but I have great insurance and they've been very supportive and encouraging. I also went on a short vacation the week between Christmas and New Year's that helped me change my focus.
What are you focusing on in your life? You cannot go through life under the control of the circumstances of life and expect to thrive. You must not allow your mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual life be subject to your circumstances.
Design the life you want to live and you will thrive, thrive, thrive! Focus on what you want instead of where you're at in life.
I wish you the very best for 2011. Happy New Year!!